Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Week #6 Thing #13

I've had a del.icio.us account for a while and I love using it. As a research tool, I can direct my students to it and have them click on the tag on the right hand side and get the links they need. This can focus their research and keep them on sites that I know are safe. I'm just getting ready to use this for a mythology project in which I'm collaborating with our art teacher. The students are doing ceramic medallions of gods and goddesses and they will research their god or goddess, then post this research on our Research Blog with a photo of their finished art project.

I love the access. I can find my bookmarks from any computer. I also refer parents to my del.icio.us page for helpful bookmarks.

I explored some of the libraries and went to the San Mateo Public Library's del.icio.us page. (I did this because I used to live in San Mateo and spend lots of hours in the library when I was in high school there) I really liked the way they had organized their tags in concordance with the Dewey Decimal System.

del.icio.us is a nice way to introduce students the a positive social networking site. It's great to browse the popular sites and popular tags. It's a way to explore the vast resources of the web in a friendly and more focused way.

No comments: