Sunday, March 23, 2008

Week #9 Thing# 22

This was a new world for me....all these books available online for download. With the advent of readers amazon.com's Kindle, I realize that this is a new possibility for readers...to download the books either to read or to listen to.

I found the World EBook Fair site a little confusing but I went to the regular Gutenberg Project site. It was interesting to see the top 100. I was a little surprised to find The Outline of Science as number 1. I looked at Pride and Prejudice just to see what it would like like online. This would be helpful if you needed a passage but I can't quite imagine curling up with my laptop.

LibriVox was the most interesting and I could see some possible use for students to listen to books. This might be especially good for learning disabled students. The site was having technical difficulties when I looked at it so I wasn't able to do any searching.

I enjoyed looking at the "Best Places to Get Free Books" link. I went to manybooks.net and searched in the Young Readers section and looked at Aesop's Fables.

But all in all, I guess I'm still going to stick with actual books as my first choice--the paper, the typography, the illustrations.....hard for me not to prefer that.

No comments: