Saturday, March 15, 2008

Week #7 Thing #16

(Sorry, I did this post out of order....)

I looked at several wikis and found the BookLover's Wiki interesting to me on a personal level. I'm always looking for something new to read and I liked the succinct reviews. The link to the Princeton Library was nice...too bad I live in California!

Blogging Libraries Wiki was interesting to me. My blog is listed there and it's nice to see all the others and check out what others are doing. It's amazing to me how many different ways there are to use a blog. What has been successful for me is the blog is a way to communicate with the parents at my school. It's kind of a PR tool and in these days of budget cuts it seems like a good idea to be sure people know what you are doing in your library and what a valuable program it is. It's sometimes easy to be part of the background if we're not careful. Libraries are a quiet place (well, most of the time) and not as visible as say sports or music programs. It's good to keep ourselves in view.

I liked the two class wikis even through they are high school and I'm in elementary. I can see using a wiki to direct a project--giving instructions and resources in the way of live links.

I could also see using a wiki for Parent Resources such as summer reading lists, or grade level reading lists, or special interest reading lists. Wikis are so easy to add to.

1 comment:

Library Lady said...

I was very excited about wikis when I first went through the 23 things, but my district blocks them all. I wanted to start small with one just for the five teacher librarians to plan our trip to CSLA conference and then to plan our board presentation, but I could not find a wiki site the district would unblock for us and I could not convince the other 4 (who have not taken SLL2.0) to join with their personal email accounts. It was a disappointment.

Next year, I transfer to the high school and hopefully some techy teachers will want to play!

I really like your idea of using a wiki as PR for the library.