Friday, March 7, 2008

Week #3 Thing #7

I love technology. I saw a demonstration of an Apple IIe computer way back in the early 80s and I was hooked. I had to have it. It's been amazing (to use an over-used word) to watch and participate in the revolution that technology has brought about and nowhere is that more apparent than in education. From that first Apple I now have a laptop and my library is completely wireless with students from grades 3 though 6 bringing in their own laptops to use with me during their library skills lessons. It's kind of like a dream....

With that, however, comes a great responsibility. I spend quite a bit of time discussing, talking, and doing lessons about what it means to be a "digital citizen." We talk about internet ethics and safety, plagiarism, cyber-bullying, and critical evaluation of websites. I feel I have an opportunity to instill some of these values in my students because they are young and still listen to me--well, for the most part. The technology will continue to change, but the values and ethics need to be there as a constant.

The other challenge I face is balancing the technology with the other part of the library that is its best part--books. It's so easy to get sidetracked with these fabulous, fun, and exciting technologies and lose sight of that enduring pleasure of curling up with a good book. It's a challenge for me as an adult and a real one for my students.

No comments: